Amazon Banner

Friday, January 24, 2014

Progress Update, With a Little Help From My Friends

I Did It!
I sent off my first pattern proposal.  It was no where near as daunting to do as I thought it would be.
In order to be fair, the concept was already created, and a first sample had been constructed. A great deal of the preliminary work was done.
When the Email arrived, with the details of what the focus of the publication would be, there was no question in my mind that this item would correspond.
I cannot take all the initiative credit either. I shot emails and facebook messages off to a few of my friends, asking if they had pointers and tips to share. It was wonderful to get the encouragement from others who have done it.
It could be several weeks before I know anything, Which is tough to keep in mind. I am a person who likes to have things keep moving on a steady track. Oh, another opportunity to learn.

For those looking to take this step, start by determining which publication appeals to you.  If you create fancy thread bedspreads, you will want to be looking at magazines that cater to those items, you would not want to devote your time and energy submitting to "Slippers R US"  (obviously fictitious. but get's the point across) If the publication offers things you make, or you enjoy, it is likely the readers of it will like the things you create.  Birds of a feather sort of logic here.

The next step would be to notify them, by Email, or First Class Mail that you would like to have the executive calender, and project proposal sent to you.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to read these, top to bottom, at least once, maybe three times.  get a feel for what they are planning to focus on in the issue. Do you have it in you to do?  What are the deadlines? Can you meet them? Depending upon when you send the request for these, the deadlines may be past. It is fuel for you. What is the next issue? What is the weather like then, What sort of things are you looking at that time of year. It is a tool, and if you received it, you know you are on the mailing list for the next one.

Quality pictures, you are asking them to devote space in their world to your creation. If the picture is blurry, has a cluttered background, or has no defined object, it is not likely that they will bother reading the entire entry.  You want to shine here. You want your item to be the one that has them talking. Your pictures are your voice, as you wont be sitting in that room as they go through them. Take the time to really put effort into the photos. You do not need to hire a photographer, You need to send your best.

There is more, there is always more, I will continue to learn, as this really has my attention. I desire it. Desire is a motivator for me. What is your motivator? Will you be ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you